On June 16, Fair State Brewing Cooperative will be packing our Northeast Beer Garden with unique offerings from some of our favorite breweries from across the country. We will be pouring dozens of the rarest beers you can find– from sour and funky brews to top-notch pale ales, lagers, and ciders. Most of this line-up is not available in the Twin Cities outside of this event. You won’t want to miss out on a taste of this culture.
Breweries & Beer Lists
There are two separate sampling sessions, each with a unique beer list. Below is a combined list of beers available at the afternoon and evening sessions.
Earth Rider Brewery Superior, WI
Earth Rider beers are crafted by decorated brewers with cold, clear Lake Superior water and premium, hand-selected ingredients. They brew at the head of the Great Lakes on the Duluth-Superior Harbor for the Twin Ports and South & North Shores of Lake Superior. Just this spring, Earth Rider Brewery claimed a bronze award in the 2018 World Beer Cup for their North Tower Stout.
- ApriCrush- tart wheat beer with apricot, 5.5% ABV
- RaspbeCrush- tart wheat beer with raspberry, 5.2% ABV
Fair State Brewing Cooperative– Minneapolis, MN
The hosts of Mixed Culture will be bringing 17+ beers, some of which include:
- Grey Matter – oak-fermented grisette, 4.6% ABV
- BFDP- mixed culture barrel-aged saison, 5.2% ABV
- Lichtenhainer- smoked sour wheat, 5.1% ABV
- Jeff Goldplum- plum and peach BFDP, 5.4% ABV
- Roy G- elderberry and blueberry BFDP, 5.5% ABV
- Positive Jam- boysenberry and red raspberry BFDP, 5.4% ABV
- Sun & Rain- pale sour aged in whiskey barrels that held spontaneous cider, 5.3% ABV
- Apricot Smoked Sour- stainless-fermented mixed culture sour beer with smoked malts and apricot, 5.2% ABV
- One Variable at a Time- the artist formerly known as “Brett Wit,” a stainless fermented mixed culture Witbier with amchoor powder that took its sweet time becoming a sour beer, 5.0% ABV
Fonta Flora Brewery– Morganton, NC
Fonta Flora hails from Morganton, North Carolina. Fonta Flora Brewery “integrates the soul of agriculture with the artisanship of zymurgy to create a menagerie of rustic and savory libations. With an emphasis on seasonal flora, Fonta Flora brings English tradition and Belgian inspiration to the Appalachian mountains of North Carolina.” We’re particularly excited to try their Appalachian Wild Ales.
- Underground Kvass- Appalachian Style Brezelvass, Ale Brewed with Brezels, Smoked Malt and Sea Salt. 2.8%
- Snug Glove- Appalachian Wild Ale with Blackberries, 6.4% ABV
- Big Shrug- Appalachian Wild Ale with North Carolina Blackberries and Fennel, 5.2% ABV
- Land Trust- Mixed Culture Smoked Saison with Organic Apples, 5.2% ABV
Funk Factory Geuzeria– Madison, WI
Keepin’ life funky in Madison, Funk Factory Geuzeria brews its beer with all sorts of components. In February, they worked more on Cervino– a beer and wine combination– but on the whole, focus mostly on the “come what may” philosophy of lambic beer. The Funk Factory taproom was officially open for business in June of 2017.
- Cherry Meerts- Meerts with cherries, 4% ABV
- Blackberry Meerts- Meerts with blackberries, 4% ABV
- Meerts- American Wild Ale, 3% ABV
Forager Brewing Company– Rochester, MN
Forager Brewery rests some 80-odd miles south of us in Rochester and has been brewing beer since 2015. In true foraging fashion, the brewery uses locally grown hops (Minnesota and Wisconsin) and tries to incorporate indigenous flavors whenever they can. All around this Rochester, Minnesota, brewpub, head brewer Austin Jevne propagates different cultures collected from foraged fruits, herbs, flowers, mushrooms, and spices foraged from the Driftless region.
- Obscurely Referenced- (Forager & FSBC collaboration beer) Sour Blonde ale aged in FEW spirits Gin barrels, 4.5% ABV
- Funky Dangerfield- Minnesota Wild Ale fermented with wild foraged yeast and lactobacillus then aged on local raspberries, 6.3% ABV
- Methode PushPop Passionfruit Gummies- Blurring the lines between food and beer, contains lactose sugar, vanilla beans and gobs of fruit puree, 4.5% ABV
- Princess Persicum- Minnesota Wild Ale fermented with wild foraged yeast and lactobacillus then aged on apricots, 6.3%
Half Acre Beer Company– Chicago, IL
Half Acre Beer Co. has two breweries on the north side of Chicago. They brew classic American micro styles, weighted barrel offerings, and wyld beers that traverse the landscape of mixed fermentation. Half Acre’s aim is to brew technically raw beer for the collective odyssey.
- Pony Pils- German-style Pilsner, 5.5% ABV
- Daisy Cutter- West Coast-style American Pale Ale, 5.8% ABV
- Battle of Trenton- Barrel aged Kentucky Common Wyld Ale steeped in peach tea and fresh mint, 5.2% ABV
- Plus Ultra Mixed Culture Foeder Beer- American Wyld Ale, fermented in Oak, 5.8% ABV
Jester King Brewery– Austin, TX
Jester King Brewery gets funky at their Austin, Texas, farmhouse brewery. All of their beer is 100 percent spontaneously fermented with airborne microbes, or fermented with a mixed culture of wild yeast and bacteria cultured from the flora that grows around the brewery.
- Birra de Sangiovese- Mature barrel-aged vieille saison refermented on Texas grown Sangiovese grapes, 7.4% ABV
- Bière de Coupage- blend of SPON (our 100% spontaneously fermented beer) and young farmhouse ale dry-hopped with Czech Saaz, 6.3% ABV
- Colonel Toby- Hoppy little farmhouse ale brewed with American hops and Maris Otter, Collaboration with The Kernel Brewery, 3.4% ABV
Live Oak Brewing Company– Del Valle, TX
Live Oak Brewing has been a Del Valle, Texas, staple since 1997. This brewery employs an Old World style of brewing, sourcing top-notch ingredients, and decoction mashing in several of its beers. They are most known for traditional German styles but have collaborated with wild fermenters, such as Jester King, in the past.
- Grodziskie- Grodzisk-style oak-smoked pale lager/ale hybrid, 3.0% ABV
- Pilz- Bohemian-style golden pilsner, 4.7% ABV
Sociable Cider Werks – Minneapolis, MN
Before we had head brewer Niko playing for Team Fair State, he was working hard over at our Northeast neighbors, Sociable Cider Werks. This Minnesota cidery hasn’t dealt a bad apple since it opened 4 years ago and keeps things creative by adding things like habanero to cider and keeps the barrel-aging tradition alive and well.
- Yellow Jersey- Sparkling honey mead, 7.2% ABV
- Brett Fermented Hop-A-Wheelie- Dry Graff with Midwest Apples and Galaxy Hops 6.4% ABV
Suarez Family Brewery– Livingston, NY
As a self-proclaimed “mom and pop production brewery,” Suarez Family Brewing works often in ales, mixed fermentation, and unfiltered lagers and, as they say, “other crispy little beers.” Based in Hudson New York, it’s a brewer-owned and operated company.
- Slow Bustle- mixed culture country beer brewed with honey, 6.1% ABV
- 100 FT North- mixed culture country ale with raw grains, 4.3% ABV
- Big Night- mixed culture/dryhopped country pale ale, brewed with raw grains, 5.6% ABV
- Qualify Pils- hop accented German-style Pilsner, 5.0% ABV
Surly Brewing Company– Minneapolis, MN
This Minneapolis brewery’s best-known sour is Pentagram, but they’ve also concocted other notables, including Misanthrope, a Belgian Saison finished with Brettanomyces and aged in a blend of white wine and virgin oak barrels, and One Time Session Sour, a sour with cranberry and sea salt. Surly has been a proudly independent craft brewery for 12 years.
- Pentagram- 100% Brettanomyces dark beer, aged in red wine barrels. 7.0% ABV
- Misanthrope- Belgian-Style Saison is aged in oak barrels w/ Brettanomyces, 6.8% ABV
- Mosaic Sour, Kettle sour, 5.5% ABV
- Rosé- a rosé inspired lager featuring currants and strawberries, 5.25% ABV
Threes Brewing– Brooklyn, NY
Threes Brewing creates craft beer that balances complexity and simplicity. They focus on classic German lagers, traditional Belgian farmhouse ales, and hop-forward American ales. Since launching in December 2014, Threes has made over 60 styles of beer, including their Eternal Return Wild Ale series, and the roster is still evolving.
- Eternal Return: Cherry- Brettanomyces beer aged in oak barrels, with a blend of tart and sweet cherries, 6.9% ABV
- Passing Time- Grisette, 4.5% ABV
- Arbiter of Fun- Oak aged American Wild Ale, 5.4% ABV
- Short Fuse- American Pale Lager, 4.2% ABV
- Circus of Misdirection- Pale Lager with notes of peach and white tea, Collaboration with FSBC, 5.3% ABV
Whiner Beer Company– Chicago, IL
Whiner Beer Co. focuses on barrel-aged beer, a tradition common in Belgium and France that is gaining foothold in the US. Whiner aims to make beers for people with a wanderlust palate, a curiosity for the strange and unknown, and those who take their beer seriously, but never themselves. Housed in The Plant, a net-zero energy business incubator located in Chicago’s Back of the Yards neighborhood, Whiner aims to promote environmentally responsible brewing.
- Miaou Beligan Wheat- Cabernet barrel-aged Belgian wheat, dry hopped with Hallertau Blanc hops, 6.7% ABV
- Le Tub Wild Farmhouse Sour- A blended barrel-aged wild saison, 6.4% ABV
- Francis Lambicus Wild Ale- 100% barrel fermented, 100% lambicus fermented wild ale, 6.5% ABV
- Sasha Fontaine Raspberry Wild Ale- Barrel-fermented Brettanomyces saison with raspberries, 6.8% ABV