I mean, I totally get it. Being a FSBC board member is pretty great. There are no other meetings I attend on a regular basis that involve a delightful selection of beer. I have so much pride in the product and the company and I love being an ambassador for the brand. It’s a great professional development opportunity. There are great perks (free beer!).
That being said, being on the board of Fair State is a commitment and is real work. We are not a social club, we have fiduciary and fiscal responsibility for the health of the business. As elected officers, we do our best to represent the membership as a whole. Sometimes this means being critical or having hard conversations. Sometimes this means being cheerleaders. This is incredibly fulfilling work (and again, we get to do it with beer in hand), but it is work!
I’m not saying any of this to discourage you from running. Just the opposite! Please do run for the board. We have 3 seats up for election this year, 2 of which are vacant. However, I wanted to offer a realistic idea of what commitments are expected from board members.
Here’s what to expect:
- 1 Board Meeting plus 1 Board phone call per quarter. The meetings generally run 2 to 2 ½ hours and the phone calls about 1 hour. These are with the full board.
- 1-3 additional committee meetings per quarter. Depending on which committees you choose to join, this number will vary. All Board members are required to serve on at least one committee.
- 1 Board Retreat per year. This is a full-day weekend day.
- 6-8 hours of onboarding work—this is a one-time thing to get you up to speed on the board policies, procedures, responsibilities etc.
- Prep and follow-up work from the above meetings. Again, this varies per person, but I would expect to spend anywhere from 5 – 10 hours per month on additional board work.
- Attendance at and participation in various Fair State events. We understand that not everyone can be at every event, but there is an expectation that Board Members SHOW UP! This might mean stepping outside your comfort zone or prioritizing differently.
- Be a loud and proud ambassador for FSBC. We hope that every member is already doing this, but you will be surprised the sorts of conversations being a Board Member will lead to!
- Free Beer! We are a volunteer board, so your time is not compensated. HOWEVER, there are certainly some excellent beer perks J
So there you have it! We have several events coming up where you can find out more, but if you have questions, you can contact the board at any time by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
~Julia Gallagher, Member 96A, Chair of the Board of Directors
IMPORTANT ELECTION EVENTS:
Meet the Board
Monday 3/12, 6-9pm
Sunday 3/18, 3-5pm
Board Application Deadline: Wednesday 3/21 at 11:59pm
Meet the Candidates: Thursday 3/29, 6-8pm
Member Meeting/Election: Sunday 4/8, 2-5pm (Production Brewery)
Thank You Party/Board Announcement: Saturday 4/14, 4-10pm