Full-Time; Regular; Salaried; Madison, WI
Fair State Brewing Cooperative is seeking a full-time Sales Representative to join our sales staff in Madison, WI.
A little about us: Fair State is one of the first cooperatively-owned breweries in the US. We began operations at our Northeast Minneapolis brewery/taproom in August 2014, and added a large production brewery in St. Paul, MN in 2017. We focus on traditional lager beer, sour beer (ranging from kettle sours to 100% barrel-fermented mixed culture beers), and hoppy beers. Our products are available in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Dakotas, as well as a handful of markets on the Eastern Seaboard and the West Coast. As a member-owned cooperative, we take our seriously our ability to positively impact the communities in which we do business through our events programming, our approach to doing business, and Fair State Cooperates, our philanthropic and volunteer program.
We continue to operate the taproom and original brewery in Minneapolis, but we now perform most of our brewing and packaging for distribution in Saint Paul, which is also where our marketing and administrative staff are located. Our staff is mostly based in the greater Minneapolis-Saint Paul metro area and to date has largely focused on executing in Minnesota and Wisconsin. As demand for our products has grown in Wisconsin, we are now more able to support in-market staff and are excited about the opportunity to play a bigger role in the craft beer community in Wisconsin.
A little about you: you know a lot about craft beer, you love the craft beer community, and you’re passionate about welcoming new people into that community. You’re excited about being part of a team that’s growing rapidly and is committed to continuing to experiment and create. You treat others with respect, you act with integrity, you take pride in doing excellent work, and you have fun doing it. You have excellent judgment and can work independently, and you’re also good at staying connected to your team remotely. You’ll work closely with our wholesaler partners to educate buyers at on- and off-premise accounts about our beer and to create programming that will help them succeed.
- Drive sales by introducing Fair State products to potential new accounts.
- Continually educate and discuss products with assigned current accounts, including restaurants, bars, venues, and off-premise accounts.
- Plan and execute programming to increase rate of sale at individual accounts.
- Plan and manage work to achieve activity goals by market as defined by Director of Sales.
- Manage distributor and account relationships throughout greater-Wisconsin, including overnight travel generally 2-4 times per month to destinations such as Milwaukee, Door County, La Crosse, Eau Claire, and the Fox Valley.
- Build partnerships with community organizations to establish Fair State as a positive contributor to the markets we sell in
- Use Lilypad, email, phone, work-withs, crew-drives, and in-person meetings to work collaboratively with distributor sales representatives and accounts
- Run sales programs to drive velocity, including delivering educational programs for wait staff and bartenders, hosting events, and developing relationships with key buyers and influencers
- Comply with Fair State policies, including appropriate recording of customer interactions and business expenses, safe driving and phone use, and employee conduct
Desired skills and experience
- Willingness to work hard, often at odd hours
- Dedication to learning, improving, and contributing to a dynamic and growing team, including participating in ideation, planning, and evaluation; willingness to adapt to new structures, goals, and practices; and a strong commitment to following company policies and procedures
- Comfortable with limited supervision and able to make (informed) decisions independently
- Ability to gather, analyze, and interpret data to make decisions and prepare persuasive recommendations
- Strong attention to detail, curiosity about what works and what could be, and willingness to continually learn
- Deep knowledge of our customers’ businesses and ability to help them succeed by working with us
- Excellent judgment, outstanding professionalism, and exemplary communication and teamwork skills
- Must be at least 21 years of age as of time of application
- Must have prior sales experience in beer, wine, or spirits
- Must have experience using CRM systems and sales analytics, including Microsoft Excel
- Able to plan and manage own workflow while handling requests from colleagues, buyers, and distributor representatives
- Able to communicate effectively in English by speech and writing with account employees, distributor representatives, Fair State employees, and the public about Fair State products and goals
- Able to read and interpret numerical and graphical reports
- Able to write, read, and interpret work plans and status updates
- Able to use Microsoft Office (including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), Gmail, Google Calendar and to learn how to use a sales database
- Able to sit (including drive) or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Able to occasionally lift/carry heavy objects (55 lbs.) safely
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable personal transportation, be able to safely operate vehicles, and be able to pass insurance driving record review
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with high-pressure deadlines, time constraints, and distractions
- Able to engage with diverse audiences to effectively develop partnerships and represent our brand
- Able to deal constructively with conflict and disagreement
- Able to field a high volume of communications via email, messaging, telephone, and in-person meetings
- Able to perform up to 30% overnight travel, generally twice per month
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position. Compensation will be $45,000. As a full-time employee, this role will also be eligible for:
- Paid holidays (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day)
- Paid Time Off, which can be used for any purpose and is accrued at a rate of 0.0769 hours of PTO per hour worked (4 weeks per year)
- Health insurance for employee, spouse / domestic partner, and dependents, with a portion of premiums paid by Fair State
- Dental and vision insurance, with 50% of employee and dependent premiums paid by Fair State
- Short- and Long-Term Disability, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, and life insurance coverage, with 100% of premiums paid by Fair State
- Simple IRA with employer-matching up to 3% (eligible in 2020)
- Flexible savings account for medical and dependent care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Discounted membership in our cooperative after 6 months of employment
- Merchandise and beer discounts
- Credit for clothing merchandise at hire
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Wisconsin Sales Rep”. Applications will be accepted and interviews conducted on a rolling basis. The start date for this role is flexible, but ideally in August.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Fair State Brewing Cooperative strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.