Fair State Brewing Cooperative is seeking a full-time Packaging Manager to join our production staff in St. Paul, MN.
Fair State is one of a limited number of cooperatively-owned breweries in the US. We began operations at our Northeast Minneapolis brewery/taproom in August 2014, and added a large production brewery in St. Paul, MN in 2017. We operate a 7.5bbl brewhouse at the taproom location and a 4-vessel 30bbl brewhouse at the St. Paul location, where we also package our beer in cans and bottles. We focus on traditional lager beer, sour beer (ranging from kettle sours to 100% barrel-fermented mixed culture beers), and hoppy beers.
We have grown significantly in the last year and are positioned for to grow substantially over the next few years. We’re looking for a dedicated, hardworking, and knowledgeable person to take our packaging team to the next level. The ideal candidate will have at least 3 years of professional brewery packaging experience and will also have experience managing teams. This position reports to the Director of Brewing Operations.
- Plan, prepare, and monitor work schedules, including meal and rest breaks.
- Lead daily Production Team meetings and proactively communicate production schedules and all other relevant information.
- Directly supervise daily packaging operations to ensure safety of employees and quality of products.
- Attend and contribute to interdepartmental and Production meetings.
- Actively train employees on brewery safety and packaging equipment operation.
- Monitor employee performance and actively mentor employees in order to help them achieve their personal and professional goals.
Managing Materials and Equipment
- Coordinate with Director of Brewing Operations to ensure the accurate and on-time arrival of all required packaging materials.
- Develop and refine SOPs for all daily packaging tasks.
- Maintain complete and accurate paper and electronic records of all packaging data, including packaging date, DO, number of bottles/cans packaged, and CO2 for packaging runs, and inventory levels of packaging materials and finished goods.
- Manage and execute packaging equipment preventative maintenance schedules. Understand production systems, help diagnose sources of machine failure, and collaborate with staff to make necessary equipment repairs.
- Promote and enforce high standards of cleanliness and organization.
Managing Packaging Operations
- Clean and fill kegs. Operate the canning line, weigh and sort cans, and case and palletize finished product. Operate the bottling line and label, case, and palletize finished product.
- Perform CIP of canning, bottling, and kegging equipment. Perform general cleaning and sanitation.
- Operate forklifts, pallet jacks, and vans.
- Contribute to a safe working environment by following safety procedures and ensuring team compliance.
- Represent Fair State at events, as necessary.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 3 years of professional brewery packaging experience and prior experience managing teams is a must
- Experience operating Wild Goose, Cask, Meheen, and Pack Leader equipment
- Proficiency using Orchestrated Beer (or another brewery-specific enterprise resource planning system), Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Excel, Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Sheets.
- Ability to manage own workload, work independently, prioritize tasks, and manage competing needs.
- Ability to inspire, motivate, and direct others, including creating a positive work environment.
- Ability to develop, communicate, and execute on complex plans involving multiple departments.
- Ability to evaluate employee performance, deliver training, and provide coaching.
- Ability to make informed decisions independently based on appropriate information.
- Impeccable attention to recordkeeping, with excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Very strong arithmetic, problem-solving, and mechanical skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot, find solutions under pressure, and change tasks quickly while maintaining focus and a constructive attitude.
- Willingness to work hard, find root causes, and support long-term improvements.
- Dedication to learning, improving, and contributing to a dynamic and growing team.
- Commitment to ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Familiarity with formal process improvement or quality methodologies (e.g., lean, six sigma, TQM).
- Able to operate a wide variety of small hand tools.
- Able to read, comprehend, and communicate to others using written and spoken English.
- Able to stand for prolonged periods.
- Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs.
- Able to manipulate valves and clamps.
- Able to regularly lift/carry heavy objects (55 lbs) repeatedly and safely.
- Able to occasionally move very heavy objects (160 lbs).
- Able to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protection equipment such as gloves and goggles.
- Able to safely work on ladders and elevated platforms and in confined spaces
- Able to safely operate vehicles and material handling equipment (e.g., vans, trucks, hand trucks, scissor lifts).
- Able to use a computer.
- Able to work in a production environment with noise, strong odors, wet surfaces, and movement.
- Able to work in a stressful environment with multiple modes of communication and high-priority deadlines.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with compensation dependent on experience. As a full-time employee, this role will also be eligible for:
- Health benefits
- Paid holidays
- IRA with employer matching up to 3%
- Employee Assistance Program
- Discounted membership in our cooperative (after 6 months)
- Credit for Fair State clothing merchandise at hire
- Annual safety clothing & equipment stipend
- Employee beer stipend
- Fair State merchandise and beer discounts
- Sick and Safe Time Off and Workers Compensation, as required by law
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted and interviews conducted on a rolling basis, and we’re looking for someone to start ASAP.