Lead Packaging Technician
Fair State Brewing Cooperative is seeking a full-time (40 hours / week) Packaging Lead to join our production team in St. Paul, MN. A little about us: Fair State is one of a very few cooperatively owned breweries in the US. We were also the first microbrewery in the United States to become unionized. We began operations at our brewery/taproom in Northeast Minneapolis in August of 2014, and in 2017 expanded into a 40,000 sq. ft. production brewery in St. Paul, MN.
Currently we operate a 7.5bbl brewhouse at our taproom location in Minneapolis. At our St. Paul Production Facility, we operate a 4-vessel 30bbl brewhouse. This is also the home of the Packaging Team and is where we package our beer in cans and bottles.
A little about you: we’re looking for an individual that has a proven track record for proficient operation of filling and packaging equipment. They are a hardworking and knowledgeable person, that will bring their experience with them to help our packaging team navigate its day-to-day operation.
Packaging Lead at Fair State is a union position. Membership in the labor union is required. Monthly dues are the responsibility of the employee. The position is also on a rotating shift, 6am-2pm, 9am-5pm & 2pm-10pm. The shifts can vary based on workload. Packaging Technicians report to the Packaging Manager.
The Packaging Lead’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work with the other Packaging Lead to assist the Packaging Manager in the coordination of the activities of Packaging Team in the day-to-day functions of the Packaging department.
- Assist Packaging Manager by identifying work procedures, coordinating team schedules, and expediting workflow
- Maintain neat and orderly packaging areas, including the canning, bottling line, crowler filler and racking line, and all other surrounding work areas
- Conduct daily production and packaging tasks, including but not limited to cleaning, calibrating packaging equipment, performing routine maintenance, and operating equipment.
- Ensure packaging machinery are in good working order, charged (as applicable), and ready for the next day’s operation
- Mentor, train, and coach Packaging Team members on functions and maintenance of packaging equipment.
- Examine work for exactness, neatness, quality, and conformance to policies, procedures, and quality standards.
- Promptly inform QA Manager and Packaging Manager of any potential quality concerns.
- Monitor packaging department consumables
- Proven proficient operation of Filling and Packaging Equipment. The ideal candidate will have 2+ years experience operating and maintaining a canning line (preference to familiarity with a Wild Goose system).
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Forklift experience strongly preferred.
- Able to read and follow written English instructions
- Willingness to work hard, often at odd hours
- Able to stand for the length of work shift; eight hours with occasional overtime
- Able to work in conditions typical of a manufacturing environment (cool, warm, hot, humid, wet, etc.), and moderate to loud environments
- Able to frequently push, pull, lift and/or move objects up to 30 pounds and occasionally push, pull, lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds
- Able to move up to 160 pounds with assistance
- Able to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, hourly position compensated at $19 per hour. As a full-time employee, this role is also eligible for:
- 8 paid holidays (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day)
- Paid Time Off, which can be used for any purpose and is accrued at a rate of 0.0769 hours of PTO per hour worked (4 weeks per year)
- Paid parental leave (160 hours of paid parental leave in the 12 months following, or the 9 months prior to, the birth, adoption, or foster placement of a child in your home)
- Health insurance for employee, spouse / domestic partner, and dependents, with a portion of premiums paid by Fair State
- Dental and vision insurance, with 50% of employee and dependent premiums paid by Fair State
- Short- and Long-Term Disability, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, and life insurance coverage, with 100% of premiums paid by Fair State
- Flexible savings account for medical and dependent care
- Simple IRA with employer-matching up to 3% (eligible in 2023)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Discounted membership in our cooperative (after 6 months)
- Credit for Fair State clothing merchandise at hire
- Annual safety clothing & equipment stipend
- Employee beer stipend
- Fair State merchandise and beer discounts
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to [email protected] Applications will be accepted, and interviews conducted on a rolling basis. We’re looking for someone to start ASAP.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, or how this would be determined, please feel free to contact [email protected] to discuss your application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Fair State Brewing Cooperative strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.