Café and Taproom Manager
Fair State Brewing Cooperative is seeking a Café and Taproom Manager to join our staff in Northeast Minneapolis.
We operate a taproom and beer garden in Northeast Minneapolis which is open seven days a week and where we periodically host both small- and large-scale events. This fall, we plan to expand our taproom operations to include specialty coffee service, as well as a greater focus on to-go beer and merch sales from our space.
We are seeking someone with specialty coffee and service management experience who can help us expand our operational capacity. This person will work closely with Director of Retail Operations to learn about taproom operations as they exist now, to provide logistical planning and support for events, to supervise taproom staff, and to assist in planning and developing the café business.
Prior service management or supervisory experience and knowledge of specialty coffee is required, but prior experience in the beer industry is not. This position reports to the Director of Retail Operations.
- Manage the development, opening, and operation of Fair State’s café from build-out through opening and ongoing operation.
- Manage café menu, inventory, ordering, and vendor relationships.
- Work with coffee vendor to manage barista training.
- Provide logistical and planning support for on-site events and food partnerships.
- Work with marketing staff and sales to manage the ordering and stocking of merchandise and glassware.
- Coordinate on needed signage for operations and display with marketing staff.
- Work with taproom staff to ensure website information related to retail operations is up to date and reflects current offerings.
- Manage taproom and café staff, scheduling, and payroll. Work with Director of Retail Operations to manage coaching, hiring, training, and record-keeping.
- Continually improve our high service quality and hospitality commitment, efforts, and actions
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- 2+ years experience coaching, teaching, or managing in a café, retail, bar, or service setting.
- 1+ year experience working in the specialty coffee industry.
- Desire to manage a café from start-up to opening and beyond and a willingness to be THE coffee expert on staff.
- Experience using software for business operations, including point-of-sale systems (e.g., NCR, Square, Clover), e-commerce (e.g., Squarespace, Shipstation, Stripe), accounting (QuickBooks), staffing (e.g., WhenIWork, ADP Resource), and inventory management (e.g., Orchestrated Beer, SAP, Ekos).
- Experience providing support for events in a retail, restaurant, bar, or café setting.
- Ability to identify, evaluate, and act on new opportunities.
- Strong attention to detail.
- At least 21 years of age as of time of application.
- Able to engage with diverse audiences to direct service, resolve complaints, educate, and advance our business.
- Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs.
- Able to regularly lift/carry heavy objects (55 lbs.) repeatedly and safely above waist-level.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to pass insurance driving record review for operating company-owned vehicles on public roads.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position compensated at $50,000 per year plus bonus based on taproom financial performance. As a full-time employee, this role is also eligible for:
- 7 paid holidays (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day)
- Paid Time Off, which can be used for any purpose and is accrued at a rate of 0.0769 hours of PTO per hour worked (4 weeks per year)
- Paid parental leave (160 hours of paid parental leave in the 12 months following, or the 9 months prior to, the birth, adoption, or foster placement of a child in their home)
- Health insurance for employee, spouse / domestic partner, and dependents, with a portion of premiums paid by Fair State
- Dental and vision insurance, with 50% of employee and dependent premiums paid by Fair State
- Short- and Long-Term Disability, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, and life insurance coverage, with 100% of premiums paid by Fair State
- Flexible savings account for medical and dependent care
- Simple IRA with employer-matching up to 3% (eligible in 2022)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Discounted membership in our cooperative (after 6 months)
- Annual safety clothing & equipment stipend
- Employee beer stipend
- Merchandise credit
To apply, please send your resume and a brief introductory email to [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until July 5, and interviews conducted the week of July 12. We’re looking for someone to start in August.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, or how this would be determined, please feel free to contact [email protected] to discuss your application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Fair State Brewing Cooperative strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.