Fair State Brewing Cooperative is seeking a part-time (20 hours / week) Packaging Technician to join our production staff in St. Paul, MN. We are growing quickly and need to add staff to help meet demand.
A little about us: Fair State is one of a very few cooperatively-owned breweries in the US. We began operations at our brewery/taproom in Northeast Minneapolis in August of 2014. We were fortunate enough to be named one of RateBeer’s 10 best new brewers in the world for 2015, and recently expanded into a 40,000 sq. ft. production brewery in St. Paul, MN. We focus on traditional German-style beers (especially lager beer), sour beer (ranging from kettle sours to 100% barrel-fermented mixed culture beers), and hoppy beers. We are positioned to grow substantially over the next few years, and as such this position may continue to grow and evolve with the brewery.
Currently we operate a 7.5bbl brewhouse at the taproom location, and a 4-vessel 30bbl brewhouse at the St. Paul location, where we also package our beer in cans and bottles.
A little about you: We’re looking for a dedicated, hardworking, and knowledgeable person to help us stay on track. The ideal candidate would have some experience in the beer industry, or in warehousing/manufacturing generally, and be willing to learn.
This position would report to the Head Brewer and the Packaging/Warehouse manager.
- Cleaning and filling kegs
- Operating the canning line, weighing and sorting cans, casing and palletizing finished product
- Operating the bottling line, labeling, casing, and palletizing finished product
- Collecting data and maintaining records related to packaging
- Counting inventory of packaging materials and finished product
- Performing CIP of canning and kegging equipment
- Performing general cleaning and sanitation
- Operating forklifts and pallet jacks
- Contributing to a safe working environment by following safety procedures
- Representing Fair State at events, as necessary
- All the squeegee and mop work that you can handle
Desired skills and experience
- Willingness to work hard, often at odd hours
- Dedication to learning, improving, and contributing to a dynamic and growing team
- Commitment to following company policies and procedures
- Ridiculous dedication to the aforementioned mop and squeegee work
- Comfortable with limited supervision and able to make (informed) decisions independently
- Arithmetic, problem-solving and mechanical skills
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Experience with beer, food & beverage, or manufacturing is a plus
- High school diploma or GED
- Able to stand for prolonged periods
- Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs
- Able to manipulate valves and clamps
- Able to read and follow written English instructions
- Able to regularly lift/carry heavy objects (55 lbs) repeatedly and safely
- Able to occasionally move heavy objects (160 lbs)
- Able to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protection equipment such as gloves and goggles
- Able to safely work on ladders and elevated platforms and in confined spaces
- Able to safely operate vehicles and material handling equipment (e.g., vans, trucks, hand trucks, scissor lifts)
This is a part-time hourly position. Compensation is $15 / hr. As a part-time employee, this role will also be eligible for:
- Paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Discounted membership in our cooperative (after 6 months)
- Credit for Fair State clothing merchandise at hire
- Annual safety clothing & equipment stipend
- Employee beer stipend
- Fair State merchandise and beer discounts
- Sick and Safe Time Off and Workers Compensation, as required by law
Applications will be accepted until February 23 and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. We’re looking for someone to start in March of this year.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Packaging Technician.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity. Employment offers are made on the basis of qualifications and without regard to race, sex, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, veteran status, or sexual orientation.