Fair State Brewing Cooperative is seeking a full-time, production Brewer to join our brewing staff in St. Paul, MN.
A little about us: Fair State is one of a very few cooperatively-owned breweries in the US. We began operations at our brewery/taproom in August of 2014. We were fortunate enough to be named one of RateBeer’s 10 best new brewers in the world for 2015, and in 2017 expanded into a 40,000 sq. ft. production brewery in St. Paul, MN. We focus on traditional German-style beers (especially lager beer), sour beer (ranging from kettle sours to 100% barrel-fermented mixed culture beers), and hoppy beers. Our products are available in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Dakotas, as well as a handful of markets on the Eastern Seaboard and the West Coast. As a member-owned cooperative, we take seriously our ability to positively impact the communities in which we do business through our events programming, our approach to doing business, and Fair State Cooperates, our philanthropic and volunteer program.
We continue to operate the taproom and original brewery in Minneapolis, but we now perform most of our brewing and packaging for distribution in Saint Paul, which is also where our marketing and administrative staff are located. We have grown substantially in every year of our existence, and we are positioned to continue this growth in the coming years as well. As such this position and our business needs will continue to grow and evolve
Currently we operate a 7.5bbl brewhouse at the taproom location, and a 4-vessel 30 barrel brewhouse at the St. Paul location, where we also package our beer in cans and kegs.
We’re looking for a dedicated, hardworking, and knowledgeable person to join our team. . The ideal candidate would have significant brewing experience; be willing to work across all brewing, cellaring, packaging, and quality operations; and be willing and able to contribute to our continued growth and excellence.
We are in the process of cross-training staff in order to improve our flexibility and to provide staff with development opportunities. Brewers at Fair State are responsible for more that producing wort; they are expected to collaborate with staff across the production process, to participate in all aspects of production from grain to pallet, and to be leaders in upholding and improving our internal processes.
- Wort production on a 30bbl 4 vessel DME brewhouse
- CIP/Sanitation of FVs, BTs, and the brewhouse
- Cellar work including transfers, dry-hopping, centrifuging, and carbonating beer
- Yeast management (harvesting, pitching, cell counts, etc.)
- Cleaning kegs and kegging finished beer
- Packaging beer (kegs and cans)
- Conducting raw and finished materials inventory counts and following inventory management processes
- Dealing with barrels (wine and spirit): filling, transferring, blending, cleaning, and maintenance
- Interfacing with brewery management software, and extensive record-keeping
- Contributing to a safe working environment by following safety procedures
- Representing Fair State at events, as necessary
- All the squeegee and mop work that you can handle
- Maintaining a clean and orderly work environment
- Operating the forklift, scissor sift and vehicles as needed
- Participating in continuous improvement activities
- Contributing to recipe and process development as needed
Desired Skills / Experience
- Experience working in a production brewery
- In-depth knowledge of the brewing process
- Willingness to work hard, often at odd hours, and on a consistent schedule defined by our production needs
- Ridiculous dedication to the aforementioned mop and squeegee work
- Ability to make informed decisions independently based on appropriate information
- Impeccable attention to recordkeeping, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Very strong arithmetic, problem-solving, and mechanical skills
- Ability to troubleshoot, find solutions under pressure, and change tasks quickly while maintaining focus and a constructive attitude
- Willingness to work hard, find root causes, and support long-term improvements
- Dedication to learning, improving, and contributing to a dynamic and growing team
- Commitment to ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures
- High school diploma or GED
- Experience with sour beer generally, and barrel-aged/mixed culture beers especially, is a plus
- Experience with Orchestrated Beer a plus
- Must be at least 21 years of age as of the time of application
- Able to operate a wide variety of small hand tools.
- Able to read, comprehend, and communicate with others using written and spoken English.
- Able to sit (including drive) or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs.
- Able to manipulate valves and clamps.
- Able to regularly lift/carry heavy objects (55 lbs) repeatedly and safely.
- Able to occasionally move very heavy objects (160 lbs).
- Able to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protection equipment such as gloves and goggles.
- Able to safely work on ladders and elevated platforms and in confined spaces
- Able to safely operate vehicles and material handling equipment (e.g., vans, trucks, hand trucks, scissor lifts).
- Able to use a computer.
- Able to work in a production environment with noise, strong odors, wet surfaces, and movement.
- Able to read and interpret numerical and graphical reports
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable personal transportation, be able to safely operate vehicles, and be able to pass insurance driving record review
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with high-pressure deadlines, time constraints, and distractions
- Able to deal constructively with conflict and disagreement
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, hourly position. Compensation is $22 / hr. As a full-time employee, this role is also eligible for:
- Health benefits
- Paid holidays
- PTO, accrued at a rate equal to 4 weeks annually
- IRA with employer matching up to 3% (eligible in 2020)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Discounted membership in our cooperative (after 6 months)
- Credit for Fair State clothing merchandise at hire
- Annual safety clothing & equipment stipend
- Employee beer stipend
- Fair State merchandise and beer discounts
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted and interviews conducted on a rolling basis, and we’re looking for someone to start ASAP.